Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Emmett Till VS Tom Robinson

A couple of weeks ago, we read about the trial and death of Emmett Till.  We just finished chapters 18-21 in To Kill a Mockingbird, the chapters containing the trial of Tom Robinson.  I thought it would be thought-provoking to compare and contrast the two stories.  I was, honestly, expecting more similarities than differences, but my hypothesis was wrong.  I think that by differentiating the two trials, I have a better understanding of the racial hatred during those time periods, as well as the trials in general.   I hope this helps you out, too!

1 comment:

  1. Very good Venn Diagram. Tom Robinson was fictional, however, and not based on Emmett Till. The closest comparison was to Willie McGee, electrocuted in 1951 for raping a middle-class white woman. However, certain parties argued that the two had been carrying on an affair for years. Couldn't have been much of an affair, if the lady didn't try to save Willie! So we're left with the rape accusation on the one hand, and Miss Chatterley's Noggie on the other.

    ReplyDelete